- Bring sugar, water, and cherries to a boil in a medium pot. Once boiling, reduce to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Cover and chill. (This can be done a day ahead.)
- Pour the wine over ice in a glass pitcher . Strain cooled cherry syrup into a large pitcher, pressing on the cherries to release their juice. Squeeze the juice of 1 orange and 1 lime and add to the wine. Stir in remaining cherries.
- Slice the remaining fruit into rounds or wedges (for garnish), and add half to the wine along with half the fresh cherries. Add mineral water, to taste.
- Pour the sangria over glasses of ice, top each glass with a little more mineral water if desired; garnish with sliced fruit, cherries, and mint sprigs
- Garnish with fresh mint.
Yield: 1 pitcher, 6-8 servings